Quality Cane Corso breeders never underestimate the importance of puppy socialization.
Socialization means learning to be part of society. When we talk about socializing pet puppies, it means helping them learn to be comfortable as a pet within human society—a society that includes many different types of people, environments, buildings, sights, noises, smells, animals and other dogs.
Puppy socialization is imperative in making sure that your furry friend will be comfortable and calm in the many different environments you bring your Cane Corso to.
A Breeders Tips on Puppy Socialization
- 1. Environmental Exposure: introduce your puppy to many different environmental stimulus. The more environments you introduce to your Cane Corso, the more confident your puppy will be.
2. People Exposure: It is great for your puppy to be introduced to multiple demographics. Let your puppy get to know people of a range ages, different races, males and females, those with disabilities, and more. All can be helpful to your puppy’s development. This type of exposure should be done in small groups rather than large crowds.
3. Object Exposure: Show your puppy the world! This can be introducing them to objects that they will be commonly exposed to in their life. Some example are: the car, dog bed, dog toys, and other dogs.
4. Control the Exposure: As the owner, you must control the socialization. Make sure that the puppy is not fearful and is adapting at every point. If your puppy is nervous you could be building fears rather than confidence.
5. Remain Calm: Your loyal Cane Corso will mimic your emotions. They can feel it. Be sure to remain calm to keep your puppy calm.
6. Positive Reinforcement: Just like us, your puppy will want praise. Praise can come in soothing words, petting, and treats. Let your Cane Corso know that you are proud of them and like what they are doing.
You can join a puppy class and learn different training techniques and skills for your Cane Corso, as well as socializing them to other dogs, people, smells, and environments. If you do go this route, make sure that your puppy’s shots are up to date.
A Breeder’s Commitment
Here at Americana Cane Corso, you puppy’s socialization begins before 3 weeks of age. Our job is to breed dogs that are well rounded, confident, and trustworthy. Part of this solid foundation is in puppy socialization.
For more information about puppy socialization visit our website.